Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fresno Week 6: The Transfer-mation of Sister Bolliger, "Humu & Hamu in my Kete", Being a "Sower", Semi-Fainting Door Approach

My greetings to y'all.
I must alert the world of a change that has been wrought in the very nature of Sister Bolliger. My parents, roommates, and anyone with enough guts to enter any room that I have lived in will be very familiar with the fact that typically things were a tad disorganized, perchance messy, and definitely cluttered. Well, the mission has already begun to impact the dear Sister Bolliger. I cannot take off a sweater without hanging it up. I cannot apply makeup without returning it to the bag from which it came and depositing it back in the cupboard of its origin. I cannot use a spoon without placing it in the sink and promptly washing it. I cannot live in disorganization. Hahahah. I laugh at myself all the time. I am currently beset with the shakes because in packing all of my belongings my things are not in order. Yes, miracles do happen. :)
As evidenced by the fact that all of my things are in a state of disarray...I'm being transferred! Visalia 3rd ward is my destination and Sister Hernandez (who hails from Mexico and is called Spanish speaking) will be my new companion. It was a sad day on Saturday when Sister Tupou and I got the call. We just sat on the ground and lamented our impeding separation. Just earlier that day I had actually navigated the streets without the prompting of Sister Tupou's sense of direction. I guess that meant I was ready to leave. Haha. I was asked to bear my testimony again in Sacrament Meeting and it was all very tender.
I have a lot of rubbish. Seriously. It's absurd. And that is all I have to say about that.
This week has seen an improvement in Sister Bolliger's health. Not in the sense that the ailments that have plagued me have gone away, no that has not happened, but that I have been able to relax. My anxiety is no where near the levels that I operate at normal. I have been able to release the tension in my body and the anxiety about everything. It has been remarkable! I have definitely felt the prayers ---------------------slight pause to go keep our car from being stolen---------------------------okay we're back. Car is still in our possession. Phew.-----------------I have definitely felt the prayers and the love of everyone this week. I feel mentally like I can do this! My attitude is back on track and while I still feel ill, it is no where near the totally overwhelming feeling of being sick that plagued this previous transfer. I feel very very blessed!
Tongan phrase of the day. Well, this one is actually a mix of tongan and english. Haha. Because I typically grab my stomach when the pain hits, and because I read Sister Tupou's Tongan/English dictionary, this sentence has been brought about: "I have a humu and hamu in my kete!!" Humu means fish, hamu means muscle spasm, and kete means abdomen. Yes, it sounds retarded. No, I don't care what people think. And yes, this is frequently uttered from my mouth. Because sometimes it feels that in addition to my hamu, there is a humu swimming around in my stomach! Hahah. I had just barely transferred speaking in Spanish to speaking in Tongan...and now I'm getting a spanish companion. Oiaue!
This week has been fabulous in every way! We have had tons of lessons, lots of success with less actives, and been out doing the work a lot!
I would say that the thing I have been pondering on this week is the parable of the sower. Our Bishop gave a wonderful lesson with much missionary gusto about this on Sunday. Jesus didn't tell the parable of the hunter. Missionary work is not, "I'm going to go out and get me a baptism." We don't hunt for the "perfect" one. We sow. We spread seeds EVERYWHERE. We can't tell what ground is rocky and hard or ready to grow. We can't tell from looking and we certainly can't tell the timing. There was a lady in the ward who was sealed to her husband this weekend. The Bishop used her as an example. A convert of two years, she had over four thousand contacts (we calculated) with the Church before she joined the Church and five sets of missionaries. In fact, twenty years ago she said that she would never be a Mormon to her friend! Haha. He said that we go and spread the seeds everywhere we can, having a conversation about the gospel, or having the formal teaching of a missionary, because we provide the choice. We don't force people to do anything. We allow them to exercise their agency! And we provide that choice because we would never want to deny anyone the opportunity and blessings of the gospel. It was a wonderful perspective!
My health has actually got us in many a door. One day I semi-fainted on a super less active woman's doorstep. She promptly invited us in, watered us, and set me up on the couch to rest. We then talked for the next hour and fit in many a scripture. It was wonderful! We have never been in that door before. Yes. Score one for hidden blessings about Sister Bolliger's ailments!
It's starting to get warm here--mid 90's--but we're getting ready for the real heat! Ah. I think I will roast. But hey, if I get sunburned enough, hopefully some color will stick. :)
Peace be the journey!
Sister Bolliger

No comments:

Post a Comment