Holy cow familia, this week has been one of the most incredible weeks that I have had in a very, very long time and it was and is still full of miracles that have begun to happen.
So our we met with our new investigator, Felecia, with a member in our ward who could relate to her situation very, very well and the lesson went amazing! She was so excited to hear about the gospel and kept on answering questions, it was so cool to have someone who was so excited and ready to hear about the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ! We have an appointment with her this next week and are probably going to be setting a date along with a number of other investigators we hope to set a date with.
Fast Forward to Thursday, this is where the amazingness really starts to begin.
We had a lesson with a less active family that has not come out to church in months, after visiting with them multiple times and hearing their reasons for not attending church, we decided to teach them the Sundae/Sunday Lesson.
We started out by informing them that we are going to be bringing over dessert and not to have some that night. As well as asking them what kind of ice cream they like the best. So we brought over the ice cream and put on some choclate and some butterscotch then going to the way of mustard and ketchup explaining that these things we perfectly fine on a hot dog but not on a sundae. It proved to be a very,very effective lesson about not doing things on a sunday that we aren't supposed too and was very, very effective.
Now comes friday, we had a lesson with a part member family in the ward and we didn't want to do just an average sit down lesson so literally 30 minutes before we were coming up with an amazing object lesson. Because in the past the regular old lesson proved to be not very effective we decided tinstead to Transform the Gospel of Jesus Christ into all object lesson parts.
Gospel of Jesus Christ
4. Gift of Holy Ghost
5. Enduring to the End
So this is what we did
1. Faith, we made a faith rocket with the tea bags from herbal tea packets, it proved to be very good way to show faith and I will explain it to you. You empty the bigelow herbal tea from the bag and you cut it in half, but it on your hand and light it, it will take off before the flames run from the top to the bottom of your hand, "have faith"
2. Repentance, we got some silly putty and a nail, and had them poke holes in it symbolizing what happens when we sin and don't repent, but when we do repent and forsake our sins we literally become 'new creatures in christ' and are spiritually born again, so that we may see be able to return to live with our heavenly father. Now someone may ask 'it wasn't the same as before you poked the holes in it' and that is very true but we are different after we commit sin and are forgiven of it, we have the knowledge to never do it again.
3. Baptism, to do this one you use an hard boiled egg and a vis-a-vis marker and 'mark some sin on the egg and draw a face on it too' and then get a bowl of water and when you submerge the egg in the water the sins away, and we are white, but you also remove the outer layer of the egg and its still an egg but there's one more thing to do with the egg...its not done yet.
4. Gift of the Holy Ghost, so with the gift of the holy ghost you get a 32oz gatorade bottle and you light a piece of paper and set the egg on top, the egg will drop through the hole symbolizing that its not easy and the 'baptism by fire' when you recieve the holy ghost. ( Scientifically the burning paper uses up all of the oxygen creating a low pressure in the container and the natural air pressure, 15 kilopascals pushes the hard boiled egg through the hole to equalize the pressure )
5. Enduring to the End, we used a bar of soap still in its wrapper and this symbolizes how we go through the repentance process and if we never use it, ourselves will get dirtier and dirtier all of the time, if we by chance use it once then never again, we still get dirty but when we do the 3 things that help us to continue along the path, 1. Read Scriptures 2. Pray and 3. Attend Church we are washing ourselves spiritually every day and week and renewing our covenants that we made at baptism.
Another object lesson, get 3 cups and put them together, with 3 knives, make isometric triangle and the distance from cup to cup must be the length of the knife. get the three knives to support a book of mormon in the center without allowing anything but the cups to touch the ground and still the same distance away.
Then email me a picture of it this next week if you figure it out.
Yesterday- the Baptism of Veronica. So remember when I was down in the Colton Ward and baptized Marcos? Well, yesterday I baptized his little sister and it was absolutely incredible. I loved being there for the baptism and it was an incredible experience to go and visit some people from that ward afterword. It brought back so many memories from Colton and the people that we taught there and even though it took up most of our day, we got a referral out of it that I can't wait to go and talk too, a family member of Victoria the mother of Marcos and Veronica.
I hope that yall have a great day where ever you are!