Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sister Bolliger - Visalia Week 14: Trying Hard, Waking Up at 6:30, Awesome Investigator, Singing "Where Love Is," "Watch Out for Her Laser Gun"

Well...this week has again been fraught with many, many adventures.

Sister Lemalu and I have been plugging along, "wasting and wearing out our lives" (as the scriptures say) in the work. Our mission has a goal of 1,200 baptisms for this year, and 200 for this upcoming August. Understanding that there is SO much preparation that needs to be done within our companionship and with everyone that we teach to prepare them to make this promise with their Heavenly Father, we have been trying as hard as we can to do our part!

I am actually waking up right at 6:30. I know that may seem like a falsehood, but it most certainly is not. :) It's hard when you have to set an example for others. Blast! But out of bed I get right after the first beep of my alarm clock (honestly), and am down on my knees to pray first thing!

Chuck W has continued to be the find of the century. He took a Gospel Principles Manual home and read it the entire day on Wednesday! It took him 11 hours, but he did it! He highlighted questions he had--but they were remarkably not about the doctrine, but about the how. Instead of asking about the doctrine of tithing, he asked how you pay it and then where to find the slips! He wanted to know what the Ensign was, and how to get into the temple! He's already made comments such that he needs to "convert his family" and that he's already dispelling rumors about Mormons wherever he goes. :) He came to all three hours of church again this last Sunday, and made comments that he thinks it needs to be longer. I KNOW! This man is more righteous than I am! Haha. He is just on fire and we are so excited for him! He is a retired cowboy and has never even owned a pair of shoes that haven't been cowboy boots! He attempted to dress like everyone else this last Sunday by wearing dark colored jeans and a black striped polo and the effort was very wonderful to behold!

This Sunday I sang a solo in Church, thinking that it might be able to draw some of our investigators to come to Church. I sang the primary song "Where Love Is" and it went beautifully! I already sing about 42% of everything I say so many people knew that I enjoyed singing, but it was so wonderful to have the opportunity to get up in front of a congregation that I love and continue to pray to love as I serve them in this area! Unfortunately, the target of this ruse was swept away by her boyfriend last weekend (again) and didn't make it. Why do people have their agency again? Juuuust kidding. :)

I have become involved in some very healthy elder v. sister competitions. For some reason I always seem to entangle myself in a battle of Church Tour invitations. We are to keep track of non-member church tour invitations and as such I like to challenge myself. This week it was the 3rd ward sisters versus the 4th ward elders. I got sick this week pretty bad and so wasn't able to stand for some time, so my companion and I were mainly teaching lessons for part of the week, but we did our part to catch up! We ended up losing only by 2, which I feel to be a wonderful result due to the fact that I was sick for so often! We had 16 in one day, which is pretty intense because that means you're not only talking to 16 non-members a day, but getting to the point of talking about the Church and inviting them on a tour! Even with all of the other appointments and obligations that are taking up time during the day!

We had a crazy double zone activity yesterday at a place called McDermont. It's a huge complex in the tiniest of towns with two indoor soccer fields, laser tag, arcade, basketball courts, gyms, etc. We got in free and had the most beastly laser tag games EVER. I must have got waay into the game because I was chasing down my companion Sister Lemalu (who was on the opposing team) and had finally cornered her behind a large partition. I swung around and down to not get hit and in the process tilted my gun at an angle, anticipating to be shooting upwards. My plan did not go as well as I thought. What ended up happening is that I hit my companion in the eye with the butt of my laser tag gun. SERIOUSLY!!! She went down immediately and I ended up crouching there with her head in my hands trying to assess what I had done with all of the black light and neon craziness. Turns out I hit her just below the eye, and it immediately started to bruise. AHH! I felt SOOOO horrible. And even let her shoot me a few times to rack up some points. Poor Sister Lemalu! The Elders found this to be particularly entertaining, and I have a feeling that I won't live this down for the rest of the mission. They were taking turns looking at the bruise under her eye today at Zone Meeting and my goodness. It's ridiculous! Thankfully Sister Lemalu is the laid back Polynesian and is very, very forgiving. It's now the running joke in the apartment. "Don't make Sister Bolliger mad or she'll get you in the face!" or "Watch out for her laser gun!" Oooh, how precious. :)

We took an investigator to mutual last Wednesday and they were doing yoga. Not only was it odd wearing pants in the church building, let alone with members of the ward, but "relaxing" before 10:30? What??? I absolutely loved it. Hahah. :) The breathing, the lights off, the stretching--holy toleto did the stars align for us that night!! It was also a miracle to get our investigator to the church building and she loved it! The girls were so wonderful--I was so grateful for their examples and smiling faces!

I am so excited that John is joining me in the field! It's crazy stuff, but I'm so glad for there finally to be a real Elder Bolliger. Randomly I have been called Elder Bolliger A LOT (probably because I look like a man...hahah jk) and I am so grateful that I know have a clever retort, such as, "No, he's in San Bernadino" or "Do I look 6'3"?" Haha.

I am bruised from my laser tag experience. I went all out and ran into many different boxes, walls, the floor, etc. But at least I have battle wounds! (but none to rival dear Sister Lemalu's!!!)

We just had 5 sisters called to be sister ward missionaries this last Sunday. That brings our total of ward missionaries to 12! Ahh! There are so many things that we need to do--there's so much that we can do with this army behind us! I promise I'm not reading the war chapters in the Book of Mormon...I guess the theme of war has just come up on its own. Hahah.

I continue to be as crazy as ever, and just generally being the best Sister Bolliger I can be!

Sinara!
Sister Bolliger

No comments:

Post a Comment